Intermediate Guitar Level 2 is the 2nd semester continuation of Consonus Music Institute’s Guitar Fundamentals intermediate Guitar course.
The course teaching progression continues with new chord vocabulary, including additional Barre chord forms and the introduction of slash chords. Note-reading studies emphasize the 5th position notes on all 6 strings. The complexity of performance material is increased with pieces that combine chords and melody, two independent melodic lines, and arpeggiated finger style solos. Knowledge of rhythms expands to include 16th note figures. Movable pentatonic scale forms for improvisation are introduced as well as principles of improvisation through call and response exercises, and application of soloing in dedicated sections of ensemble pieces.
Supplemental materials: As with all CMI courses, we’ve included alternate musical parts that enable a layered approach to differentiated learning. This strategy enables students of diverse abilities and experience levels to enjoy an appropriately challenging learning experience in the same class.
Included in course:
- Guitar Fundamentals Intermediate Level 2 – Student Workbook
- 6-month subscription to the Consonus Online Learning Site with related online course content. Every exercise, solo, and ensemble piece is presented in its own review and/or practice video demonstrated by the author utilizing rhythmic audio backing to develop student timing and ensemble playing skills. Online content mirrors the Course Lesson Plans and Student Workbook. Non-lesson related videos cover topics such as stringing and care for the guitar.
- Instructor development and teaching aids:
- Full lesson plans
- Videos suitable for classroom demonstration and instruction
- Supplemental teacher training videos which will help you get your class started right and progressing with topics including: How to teach a blended learning course; Layered learning techniques for differentiated learning; Ensemble rehearsal techniques and more.
- Access to teacher community forums with useful discussions and advice on course related pedagogy ideas, repertoire, supplemental material and more.
- Optional teacher training workshops. Attend a CMI summer teacher training workshop taught by Mike Christiansen and CMI staff instructors. You’ll learn the same key concepts and techniques that Mike has developed and taught for over 30 years in his university guitar pedagogy courses.