This fun and engaging 23 lesson, blended learning course is the continuation of Guitar Fundamentals – Beginning Guitar – Level 1. It is designed to be taught as the 2nd semester of a one-year beginning ensemble guitar program.
Students expand their knowledge of open position chords and progress to movable power chords. Improvisation is introduced, based on movable pentatonic scales. Reading skills are further developed with eighth notes, syncopated rhythms, key signatures, flats, and standard notation on all six strings. Techniques expand with the introduction of hammer-ons, pull-offs, slides and syncopated strum patterns.
Music theory is introduced in an innovative way, utilizing the cycle of 5ths and key related major & minor chords to provide the basis for transposition, song transcription, and composing original chord progressions.
Guitar Fundamentals Beginning Guitar Level II Student Workbook with 8 new original ensemble pieces in styles ranging from swing, funk, reggae, to klezmer. Ensembles are supplemented with numerous exercises, musical examples, solo pieces and lead sheets.
- 7-month subscription to the Consonus Online Learning Site with related online course content.
- Every exercise, solo, and ensemble piece is presented in its own review and/or practice video demonstrated by the author utilizing rhythmic audio backing to develop student timing and ensemble playing skills.
- Online content mirrors the Course Lesson Plans and Student Workbook. Non-lesson related videos cover topics such as stringing and care for the guitar.
Instructor Development & Teaching Aids
- Full Lesson Plans
- Videos suitable for classroom demonstration and instruction
- Supplemental teacher training videos which will help you get your class started right and progressing with topics including:
- How to teach a blended learning course;
- Layered learning techniques for differentiated learning;
- Ensemble rehearsal techniques and more.
Optional Teacher Training Workshops
Attend a CMI summer teacher training workshop taught by Mike Christiansen and CMI staff instructors. You’ll learn the same key concepts and techniques that Mike has developed and taught for over 30 years in his university guitar pedagogy courses.